Thursday, September 20, 2007

Jerome / Sedona





I headed out of Phoenix early Monday morning to get a head start on the pending heat. I was planning to head north towards Sedona. My cousin Mike mentioned the town of Jerome as a neat place to check out - So I headed off 17 to Prescott and up through the hills to Jerome. A very winding tourist road [ not another! ] but very beautiful.

































Jerome is billed as the country’s largest ghost town. Which at some point I am sure it was. Now it is a hippie art town set right into the hills. A very neat town. I stopped to walk the town and grab some lunch



































Heading out of Jerome took me right to Sedona. I wanted to revisit after a brief stop with the family back in 2005. Route 89a was closed in summer 2005 due to forest fires. So I took that route to Flagstaff. Incredible scenery. Dead camera battery. Bummer.





















After reaching Flagstaff – I headed down Route 40 /old route 66. I had spotted an Ad for the Wigwam Motel [ featured in the movie “Cars” ] and KNEW I had to stay as part of my trip. I checked in around 6:30 and started taking pics of the motel. A very neat place but not the greatest motel room.
































In the [very] early morning – I was greeted outside by tourists who were taking pictures of the place. I spoke with a retired couple from Ohio and then a group from Germany.
They were enthralled by the motel [ but not enough to stay there apparently…]


No comments: