Monday, November 10, 2008

Jeeesh! Newbies!





Just spotted this on YouTube to remind me back in the day of my mechanical adventures. This guy is an amateur. It worked MUCH better with MY technique. You simply taped a 45 onto the side fly wheel of the antique pedal power sewing machine, put a pin through the bottom of a dixie cup and Viola! Music without electricity! We did have electricity mind you. And come to think of it - I am pretty sure there was a working record player within arm's reach - but that was boring. I sorta found that true about most of my toys. in their native state - they were not as interesting, where as a pile of parts, bulbs, motors, gears and wires - their entertainment application was infinite. I think I worried my dad a bit over the years. I think he was slightly concerned that someday that my need for entertainment would burn the house down.
[ Thankfully my fire, match and lighter fluid entertainment phase was a short chapter.. ] Dad moved me into real voltage in 4th grade when i started rewiring lamps while watching Almighty Isis on saturday adventure TV. Fun multitasking till you put a rusty jackknife through your thumb. Moving into electricity at such an early phase was a mixed blessing. I dragged home some light fixtures out of an old Cadillac behind the Krenzer's farm one time and decided that it would be Kool to plug them in my bed room. After all - I could wire plugs now.....
No one had yet explained voltage to me, or that putting a 12 volt fixture into a house outlet behind you dresser - would, in-fact, resemble something like the Fourth of July.....


All great fun! I got pretty adept at opening windows in the middle of winter time to remove
evidence and smoke. Luckily, i never carried the disassembly thing over to live animals or anything. Dad did mange to divert my habits to something more useful - so by the age of 15 - I had started to become the family auto mechanic. I think my first job was replacing the alternator on the Caprice. And it was Greasy hands from there...... [ sigh]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were DANGEROUS is what you were (and your boxes of parts). God forbid anything got left in your disassembly hurricane.