Thursday, September 13, 2007

Desert driving. Another long day.



I headed out of Barstow around 9:30. I would have left earlier – but I wanted a Route 66 historic map from the travel office in Barstow. After I found out it did not open till 10 am and the day getting warmer by the minute – I headed out across old Route 66 sans map.
Some pics from along the old route in Ludlow and Amboy.









I took the pictures below just east of Amboy. They do not describe the eeriness of the area. I got out of the van [ 108 degrees inside] to take the pic and found something very strange about the whole place. Then it struck me – it was completely silent. Beinging an Easterner – I guess I take for granted all the background nature noise ever present wherever I go. Birds, Insects – all of it. There was none here. Nada. The air was still – so I was disturbed by the complete silence of the place. Just Silence and heat. Spooky.






More pics along route 66




No comments: