Sunday, September 19, 2010

A very Burning Man evening

A early week snafu ended up cancelling some evening plans for me and left me in a funk for the evening. ( And let me tell ya - I know how to Stew..) But in a odd twist - my funk was crashed by strangers who managed to pull me out for a very fun - very Burning Man / very not Tom evening.
































It began basically out on Center Playa while I took sunset pics from a great temple. I was trying to put the brakes on my SNIT FLYWHEEL** ( which was hitting about 14,000 rpm) by distracting myself.

**- You may find that phrase strange unless you are genetically related to me - **


After a couple of conversations with very nice folks and a stop back at camp - I headed back towards the playa for some evening pictures and an attempt to walk off my funk.

But it was not meant to be!


2 strangers promptly stopped their 4 person bike and asked me to get on and then evening promptly took another direction. A wonderful Burning Man kind of experience to suddenly team up with people you have just met to share the evening touring the night sights of the playa.




























We stopped by a neat camp called Big Pink Heart and had our pic taken. The photographer Aaron Dressin had a neat set up that reflected in the eyes of the subject if you look carefully. I ended up at a camp all the way across the playa drinking rum(?) and hanging with some very funny people. It was a fun end to the night.

I still contemplate the evening for some reason.

I note how I can shut myself off when in such a bad mood - yet a random act can so quickly pull me out

I think i also focus on how startled I get to have 2 straight guys just want to be buds. The whole straight guy " you're gay??" awkwardness thing is too ingrained on my experience. I expect it always and on the rare occasion it does not happen... I just get spooked. I think you can almost see it in the picture. ( Which I love BTW) I have spent a lot of time since then thinking how/if this jades my daily life or whether BurningMan was the exception.
















How to keep the windows open despite the rain?

3 comments:

jimmy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jimmy said...

i find myself so entrenched in the comfort zone sometimes that it really is unnerving to be out there and then realize how freeing it can be to leave some of the baggage back at the camp. life happens and sometimes it is numbing to realize how much more it happens for those willing to let it.

getting older exposes this particular anxiety that you are always missing something better...peace is being ok with this knowing you can rock wen you can and need.

great pics

jimmy said...

awning windows are designed to be opened without allowing the rain to get in...btw....what...Grace is telling me you were being catagorical?

fine. whatever.