Monday, February 05, 2007

Poking about in Syracuse

I have been talking louder now about relocating to Syracuse in the very near future. Eric just got a BIG promotion - "Senior Programmer / Analyst" and our joint financial gravity just shifted eastward to Syracuse. :O) I have been plotting my future and I think I am settled on trying Design/Rehab on my own. I think I have watched enough "Rezoned" and other shows to think i can do better. So I figure I can at least give it a try for a year or two. Friday I headed over to Syracuse to start looking at neighborhoods. I have been looking at real estate listings but with no frame of reference for where they are located in the city. So i spent a snowy Friday driving around Solvay, Tipperary Hill and Onondagua street with a city map, making notes as I went. Saturday Eric and I spent the day driving around East Genesee, Erie Blvd, Division and Butternut Streets [zip code 13203] along with a quick drive through the "Gay Neighborhood" - Hawley Greene. I have made jokes that if you want to start some real estate speculation , all it apparently takes is for a realtor to take a pencil and draw a triangle on the city map and say "Gay Neighborhood" and TADA! I really liked the neighborhoods directly east of 81 - nice hilly neighborhoods with south and west sun exposure. I will be going over again next week look around more. In the meantime - I started taking pictures of commercial real estate in the city. I keep thinking I have to wait to make the jump to commercial development - but maybe not? Here are some comercial buildings I spotted over the weekend














This is the Marcellus casket company building. It would make awesome lofts


























This was an unsual building however there was no roof. So I guess I could buy it for free?














This building was "For Lease" yet had no windows. So I guess some developer is sitting on it thinking they can make some money in the future from a Rite Aid or Wendy's coming in and tearing it down. Kool. [not]

No comments: