Thursday, May 25, 2006


ICFF Weekend

Headed to NYC this weekend to meet up with my friends for the International Contemporary Furniture Fair [ ICFF]. Eric is in the middle of a class - so I was solo for the weekend.









We hitup a couple of showrooms Friday afternoon, including the Domus Store.

The store was having a sale special for the weekend - buy one white leather couch.....
- get a scruffy Chilean for free.

The sign said this one was named "Cristian" and
that he was fully house-trained.









The show itself was great this year. Some noteworthy items included the DutchTub. Looking a little out of PlaySkool or FisherPrice - this hottub included an external heating coil that you build a fire in. I thought it was pretty neat.







Also I spotted the Bocci display. I first spotted this guys in MocoLoCo. Thier chandeliers are awesome. I took a few pictures.





























We left the show to head over to Brooklyn for an open house at 14townhouses This is a new modernist take on the traditional city brownstone/row house.









The unit we toured was HUGE. I really liked the whole concept. My pictures really do not capture it fully. I was a bit taken aback at the prices [ $2 million and up ]









I do not believe the structures themselves were worth that. [ Some aspects of the construction were actually a little sloppy and cheap IMO] Maybe the land is the key.
















When we finished the tour and headed outside, we intercepted a protest parade of people in the neighborhood. As it turns out, they were trying to bring awareness that the state and local funds and attention were being used for some very high end development that did nothing for the current residents. Our $2million townhouse tour was a perfect example. While not a resident myself, I had to remind myself that this development was completely out of my financial reach as well.


I tried to take a picture of the parade marchers walking past the billboard for the development.








Heading back to Lower Manhattan, we stopped in on a few ICFF reception parties. Included of course was the Ingo Maurer showroom. I first saw his work in Berlin years ago and have always liked his flair for technology and whimsy. This picture is of a "blanket" of circuit boards and LED's overhead changing color and pattern. Someday I plan to accost him at a reception to figure out how to get started as a lighting designer.

No comments: